Sunday, August 22, 2010

DIYdeas: a too-big-up-top vintage dress of dowdiness

In today's episode, we go from this:


dowdy.

to this:

amazing!

This darling dress was an etsy find, but ended up being way too big everywhere except the skirt. It was made of a poly chiffon, so it was super difficult to work with - I swear it would fray if I even looked at it wrong... and I didn't really feel like I had the skill to alter this totally irreplaceable vintage dress. So it sat in my closet, neglected, for oh... 8 months?

A few weeks ago I finally bit the bullet and decided to get going on it. I used a seam ripper to take off the sleeves (and gigantic shoulder pads). Then, I took in the sides of the top (and learned how to do french seams in the process) and used white seam binding tape to finish the arm holes.


(poly chiffon = lots and lots of pins)

In reality, it took me about 6 hours of ripping/pinning/sewing/ripping out my stitches/sewing again to finish it, which was longer than I thought it would take! But I am super pleased with the results.



Outfit details:
Dress: etsy, remixed by moi
red peep toes: target size 11
necklace: gift from husband
belt: target 2xl, 2009
purse: garage sale, $3




ETA: better pics!






Also, if you haven't entered my awesome 50 followers giveaway and would like to - then you can do so here. You have until 11:59pm(PST) Wednesday, 8/25 to enter!

4 comments:

Porcelain complexion said...

This looks amazing, well done!
Thanks for stopping by xox

Rebecca said...

Awww, thanks so much! I really do dig your blog, glad to have it as a part of my reader now!

wastedfashion said...

WAH!!! You are so clever! That's awesome!!!

Deena said...

LOVING the dress!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...