Wednesday, July 14, 2010
I make a habit of picking up Real Simple every once and awhile when I'm traveling. It's kind of a guilty pleasure. I won't buy a subscription. I just like buying one every once and awhile.
A few months ago, they ran a feature on different kinds of organization styles depending on your personality. One of the ideas for jewelry/dresser storage inspired me to revamp my crowded dresser nee bedside table.
I didn't take pictures during the process, so this isn't technically a tutorial, but it was so easy!
- Frame with back. No need for glass. I got mine at Ikea.
- Foam board (I had some laying around that was about 1/4" thick)
- A piece of colorful paper or fabric
- Scotch tape
- Straight pins to hang your jewelry on
- Take the glass and backing out of your frame. Use the glass as a template to cut a piece of foamboard.
- Once you have your foamboard, lay it down on the decorative paper or fabric and cut yourself a piece that is about 1" larger on all sides. This will give you room to wrap the paper/fabric around the foamboard
- Wrap the paper/fabric around the foamboard. You can secure with tape on the back.
- Put your prettified foam-board in the frame (without the glass), then put in the frame backing and secure/close up the back (mine had those little metal tabs to bend back into place).
- Use pins with plastic balls on the end, or straight pins, or old earrings, etc. to hang your necklaces and things on the board! Be sure to push them in at an angle for added strength, and don't hang anything too heavy on them!
How it fits into the overall decor:
Super easy! Let me know if you decide to make one too!